Finnish port automation solutions provider Kalmar, part of Cargotec, has completed a deal with US terminal operator Total Terminals International (TTI) to supply a total of six hybrid rubber-tyred gantry cranes (RTGs) equipped with Kalmar SmartPort process automation solutions.
Valued at around $13 million, the order also includes a two-year software maintenance and support (M&S) services agreement for the Kalmar SmartPort software.
Specifically, the Kalmar Hybrid RTG combines lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery technology with a diesel power-unit. The battery is combined with a smaller diesel power unit, which is not only highly fuel-efficient – consuming up to 60% less fuel than a conventionally powered RTG – but also quieter and easier to maintain.
The cranes to be delivered to TTI will feature a range of Kalmar SmartPort process automation solutions — SmartStack, SmartLift, SmartRail and SmartMap, which will help TTI optimise and ensure the efficiency of its operations, according to Kalmar.
“Since we began discussions over two-and-a-half years ago we have received a huge amount of support from the Kalmar team, particularly with respect to the clean-air grant that will help to fund the project… the Kalmar Hybrid RTG will help us to address the increased demand while at the same time reducing our diesel and noise emissions,” Graham Scott, Chief Executive Officer, Total Terminals International, commented.
“This deal represents an important step forward for Kalmar at the largest container port in the US, with the first battery-powered Kalmar Hybrid RTGs to be delivered to the West Coast region,” Troy Thompson, Vice President, Sales, Kalmar Americas, said.
“Our true-hybrid solution will enable a significant reduction in emissions for TTI because the batteries supply 100% of the power needed by the crane, while the diesel is only used for charging the batteries when needed,” Thompson explained.
Established in 1991, TTI is a full-service marine terminal and stevedore operator headquartered in Long Beach, California on the US West Coast. The company is 80% owned by Terminal Investment Limited (TIL), a subsidiary of Swiss shipping giant Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC), with the remaining 20% owned by South Korean carrier HMM.
Source: World Maritime News